Sunday, October 22, 2006

Grid and Design Philosophy

I think that it is strange that I never really planned grids, they tend to happen. But when I do need to create one I seem to struggle with it. I have found that they are places that we don’t even realize they are, for example coupons. You are probably think coupons, really? Well you have to have standards set or people would put the UPC wherever they wanted, and make them to small. Grids are a set of standards. I think I notice that I am making them most when I create business cards. Each company has their own design but they all have grids. They are small but they are there. I think I use my guides as my grid. I don’t set out to create one, but in the process of making sure that things line up where I want them and to be sure spacing is correct I use a guide. You need to make sure things line up, that there is some kind of sense to your design.
Now I know that this also brings up the issue of how creative or artistic is that? Well it is all on how you use the grid that is already in place, or how you create it. Grids help us to read better. But if you are trying to make an artistic statement and you can explain why then you don’t need to have one, then that is fine. I do think that grids are always nessesary. But they help to organize the mess of commotion we have in out lives. So I do admit I don’t like using them, but not for a good reason. I need to learn how to make them, and use them more often in my design in a purposeful and meaningful way. The only person stopping me is me. And I can’t speak for everyone, but I would think if people don’t like them or understand them they haven’t learned enough about them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home